Thursday, March 27, 2008

My Dad


I'm a daddy's girl through and through. I've mentioned it quite a few times that my dad (who lives in Oklahoma) and I have a standing date everyday to talk on my drive home. Usually, if one of us can't make our "date" we'll call and let the other know.
~
Yesterday my sister called to let me know that my dad was at the doctor for "tests" and that he wouldn't be home in time for our talk. And that there was the possibility that he might have to stay over because the tests were running late and instead of sending him home and bringing him back they decided to keep him. This didn't sound right. My dad is notorious for not wanting to worry us so he doesn't tell us the whole truth. My sister and I both didn't think it was on the up and up so we started calling around to different hospitals with no luck of finding him.
~
He called last night around 5:35 but I missed his call. I was beside myself because I didn't hear my phone ring. He didn't leave a message and when I tried to call back it went right to voice mail.
~
This morning my sister found the hospital he was at and asked to be transferred to his room only to learn that he couldn't take calls because he is in the ICU! I understand his desire not to upset or scare his girls but if you are in the hospital you really need to let us know why you are there. I'm telling myself that was the reason he was calling me last night was to let me know that he was ok and not to worry. I would worry but I'd much rather him tell me than not tell. I'm a big girl. Tell me!
~
My uncle talked to my sister and said that he checked himself in because he could tell his heart rate was accelerated. He had a massive heart attack 11 years ago, has diabetes and is also a Cancer survivor so he's on a lot of medication. They are keeping him to run tests and monitor his heart rate.
~
I'm in tears thinking of him in the hospital by himself.
MapQuest says it's 22 hours to drive. I'm going.

4 comments:

Da Fashionista said...

sending you happy thoughts for your papa, mama!

weezermonkey said...

All the best, Missy. It is a beautiful thing that you have such a good relationship with your father.

MissJordyPants said...

Lots of good vibes following you to Oklahoma. Have a safe trip!

Nanette said...

I'm thinking good thoughts for ya! And I still have to remind my mom to tell me when she's having medical issues because she's also very apt not to tell me these kinds of things in order to keep me from worrying.

I'm glad you're able to get out there and see him soon!