Friday, March 14, 2008

17 Years Ago Today cont'd....

March 14, 1991 1:00pm



I had already pre-checked into the hospital a couple days before so there was little waiting. I was given my room and hooked up to monitors. Everything looked great. My midwife Anne came in to check on me and said things were going well. A couple hours later she decided it was time to help move along the contractions with Pitocin. I was hooked up to an IV (the absolute worst part of labor for me) and was given the drug to induce labor.

The contractions started to come quicker and harder but still nothing that was unbearable. "A" surprised the heck out of me and was a great Lamaze coach. I did my breathing and made it through really tough contractions.

I remember being so sensitive to any sounds that it drove me crazy when the nurses would chit chat while I was "heee heee whooing" through the contractions. Shut the heck up ladies!!! The nurses kept asking if I wanted any kind of pain medicine but I was feeling ok and didn't want anything. I was doing good.

Around 6:00pm it was time for me to push. I pushed a couple times and Ashley Nicole was born at 6:23pm. (I have tears in my eyes as I write this) She was beautiful. I know a lot of moms say this but she truly was. She was wide a wake and looking around and just gorgeous. They cleaned her up and as they did this I reached into my handy labor bag and enjoyed my Snickers bar. I was starved! The ice chips just had not done it for me.

Ashley was the first grandchild on both sides (after we were both cleaned up) the room was packed with our families. We all oohed and aahhed over our sweet baby girl.


She weighed 6lbs 7oz and 21 1/2 inches long and was precious. God had given me the most beautiful baby girl.


That night after everyone had left and it was just Ashley and I. I remember just holding her amazed that she was finally here. As I sat there, I had no idea how much that little girl would change my life.

1 comment:

VCBride2Be said...

Aww...such a beautiful ending. I too have tears as I type this. (oh em gee...I can't be crying at work?!) I just can't imagine how it must feel and I can't wait!

Congratualtions Missy! :)