Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Books I've Read, Reading and Want to Read

I go through spurts of reading books. I don't do it often because I get too engrossed with a book that I do nothing but read. The laundry suffers, the cleaning is half way done and all my poor husband sees is the front of the book while I have my nose buried. The kids were on Spring Break so I decided to read a couple books and take advantage of no homework.

Books I've Read

I had heard great things about My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. This book did not disappoint. It was so well written that when I finished I actually missed the characters. She wrote in each person's perspective so you got to know them and how they were feeling. At the end I felt as if I knew them and was sad when I finished. There haven't been too many books that I actually was sad to finish but this was one.

The subject is so thought provoking. Being both a mom and a sister I'm not sure what I would have done had I been in this situation. I think every parent would, I know I would do anything to keep my children alive and healthy - but at what cost? I stopped so many times while I was reading and thought, what would I do?

A definite must read.


At the airport on the way back home from visiting my dad I picked up Marley & Me. I had also heard this was a sweet book. It was, very sweet and funny. It was a quick read and I think any pet lover would enjoy it.

I heard they are making this into a movie with Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson. As much as I enjoyed the book, I'm having a hard time seeing how they can turn it into a movie.


Book I'm ReadingCurrently, I'm reading Mistaken Identity. It's a true story about two girls (Laura Van Ryn and Whitney Cerak) that were in an accident killing one of them. They were misidentified after the accident leaving one family caring for the girl they thought was their daughter for five weeks while she was in a coma. Another family grieving over their youngest daughter only to learn the daughter they thought was dead was actually alive. I've been in tears multiple times while reading this book. An incredible story.

I didn't know until after I bought the book that the two families were recently on the Today Show.

Books I Want to Read




Book I Can't Finish


I LOVED Wicked so much that I ran out the next day and bought the book. I still had so many unanswered questions regarding the story. I dove right into it and quickly came to a halt. The book is dark and I couldn't get into it. I would force myself to read it hoping I would magically like it. The consensus I get is some loved the book and some hated it. I think the ones that loved it maybe read it before the play. Maybe because time has passed since we saw the play I can get back into the book. I was comparing the two too much.

6 comments:

Winnie said...

I read the news article when the Mistaken Identity story came out! I can't even imagine being in that insane situation.

I've read Time Traveler's Wife, Memory Keeper's Daughter, and Wicked . . . they were all pretty good.

Anonymous said...

I read the Memory Keeper's Daughter (liked it!) and I couldn't finish Wicked either!

Marley and Me is sitting on my shelf waiting to be read.

weezermonkey said...

I heard Wicked is unbearable.
The book, that is.

Anne K. in L.A. said...

Great book selections. I adored Time Traveler's Wife. It was such engrossing read.

I had agree that Wicked the book was horrible. It's partially why I haven't seen the musical yet.

With Love ~ csunsweetie said...

I saw those families about Mistaken Identity on Oprah. My god, saddest thing ever. Have tissues nearby!

Nanette said...

I'm so excited about the My Sister's Keeper movie. The book made me cry (although some of that may have been pregnancy hormones).