Thursday, January 3, 2008

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!! part 1

We had a wonderful Christmas and a very quiet New Year's Eve. Dad arrived the Saturday before Christmas so we had a couple days to visit before the mad rush of Christmas hit. It was great! Have I mentioned that I love my dad?

I was proud that I finished all my shopping and wrapping on the 23rd! Yes, I'm one of THOSE. I don't care - I love the hustle and bustle. I seem to do better under pressure. My mom and I hit the mall and finished our shopping just in the Nick (get it? St. Nick?) of time....


We had a house full Christmas Eve. Great food, great company, a great time. Until I burned my thumb on a stupid votive. I didn't realize that the wick was right next to the glass and I picked it up burning the crap out of my thumb. I can usually tolerate pain pretty good - until I get burned or am nauseous. THEN, I'm a huge and I mean HUGE baby. I spent the rest of the night soaking my finger in water and holding a cold pack to it. I even cried. I told you I was a big fat baby! A blister soon appeared. So gross.
I tried not to let that damper my spirits but sadly it did. It's hard to be a great hostess while soaking your thumb. I think the pain finally stopped well after midnight while we were *ahem* Santa was wrapping stocking stuffers. This has always been our traditions (one of a thousand) to stay up and wrap stocking stuffers. This year I posed the idea to Sister to maybe wrap them the night before Christmas Eve. "But that's our tradition" she whined... so we planned to stay up and do them again as we have every year. But this year we had 5 extra stockings to stuff and I had a flippin' burned thumb (try wrapping one handed) and my poor sister got a bad migraine. She has to take medication every day to keep them under control but every once in a while one will sneak up on her and take her out. My poor sister was wrapping presents in between running to the bathroom and laying down. Needless to say - we have both decided that we will now change our tradition to wrapping on Christmas Eve Eve.

We finally finished around .....3:00AM!!!!!!! And was back up at 6:30 to see what Santa had brought. We always make quite a production out of this. While grandparents, aunts, and uncles wait at the end of the hall the kids (daughter is not really into this at 16 - but she is a trooper for her brother's sake) come in to see what Santa has brought.




We all had a wonderful time opening presents. J was thrilled with his electric drill and other tools. And me... well, it was love at first sight! (please excuse the scary, no makeup, only had 3 hours of sleep picture) I got my wonderful Kitchen Aid mixer. I love her - she's so pretty and helpful. I adore her.

I was blessed to get another wonderful gift.... I have decided that will get a post of it's own.

No comments: