Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The Grocery Game

I need to get back to cutting coupons and shopping more wisely. I used to save so much money by taking the extra time cutting and organizing my coupons.
I found a great website (thegrocerygame.com) a few years ago and it has helped me so much when it comes to coupon shopping. It's a great tool to help find the "rock bottom" prices on hundreds of products each week and match them up with manufacturers' coupons for the best possible savings at your local supermarket. She makes coupon shopping so easy. And it's amazing how much you can save.
I really had to change my way of thinking though when it came to grocery shopping. There are basically two ways we spend money on groceries: "Stockpiling," and "Need" shopping. By stockpiling items you will eventually need, you don't have to overpay when you do need it. It's basically thinking ahead in terms of shopping. When you "need" shop, you only buy those items you need at the moment or for that particular week. Because it's an immediate need, you will pay whatever price the supermarket is offering, thus grossly overpaying. The fee is minimal compared to the savings.

While it can be a bit of a chore - the reward comes when you walk out saving over $100! I've just motivated myself to get cutting and start saving again!

1 comment:

Nanette said...

My blogger buddy does that - http://accordingtoangela.com/

:)