Friday, May 9, 2008

Stepping Stones

I've only had a few jobs in my life but each were stepping stones to get me where I am today.



First Job
When I first got out of high school I was going to college and working part time. I found a job at a law firm as a file clerk/receptionist/errand girl.



Second Job

I was only at the law firm for 6 months when I had the opportunity to work for the Naval Air Station at Point Mugu. I don't even remember what my title was but I was very low on the todem pole but over the next 11 years I worked my way up to a Financial Analyst. I went through a lot while I was working here. I got married, had a baby (sweet daughter) and went through a divorce while I sported my Government badge. I faced tough times here but some of my best memories were here as well. I had the best co-workers. It was the only place I've ever worked where I could work all day and then stay out drinking until way too late with people I worked with. We were all young and basically grew up together. This is where I met one of my best friends.

I decided it was time to leave when there were talks of having a Reduction In Force (RIF). It was time to get off that sinking ship. Time to get out from under the Government umbrella and into the public workforce.


Third Job

I found a job very quickly at a company that manufactured GPS antennas. I was in charge of all the contracts and customers. This was a fun place to work as well. This is where I met one of my other best friend. I worked here for 2 years.



It's also where I met "Buddy" unexpectedly. My sweet boy.


The day that I left on maternity leave was the last day I ever stepped foot at the job. I lived on faith alone that I'd be taken care of and I was. After Buddy was born I started looking for a job. I could not be picky so I answered every ad, job posting I could find. One day I received a call from a lady interested in my resume and asked if I could come in for an interview. Everything sounded great, it was a small company 15 minutes from where I lived, I'd basically be doing the same thing I was at my last job and the pay was a little better.


Fourth Job
I went through two interviews and was offered the job. I started the day after Mother's Day 1999. 9 years ago this weekend. I've been blessed to be part of this company for 9 years. I've grown with this company professionally, spiritually and personally. They have seen both of my children grow into the wonderful people they are. They have supported me during the tough times of a single mom. They have confidence in my talents and abilities and have compensated me very well.
I was blessed to have found this company. Not only for the job but this is also where I met my loving husband J - 9 years ago.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really appreciate this summary of your life. Now I feel like I've known you forever!

Winnie said...

It sounds like your current job is working out very well for you :)

weezermonkey said...

I love this chronology.

kim said...

It's really wonderful that you found a job you love so much. 9 years is a long time. Good for you! :)