Friday, June 6, 2008

10,000 Steps

Many websites recommend we walk 10,000 steps a day for long term health and reduced chronic disease risk. 12,000 - 15,000 steps For successful, sustained weight loss.
And to build aerobic fitness make 3,000 or more of your daily steps fast.
So, yesterday I bought a pedometer. It's a great little tool that senses your body motion and counts your footsteps. I've heard that wearing a pedometer and recording your daily steps and distance is a great motivating tool. My walking partner and I have gotten a little bored with our daily walk. So we decided to add to it. We added another mile and two more inclines. Now, instead of walking at 5:00am we are starting at 4:45am. Who the heck am I? I'm a crazy walking woman!! Our walk is now 5 miles long with 5 good inclines.


When we finished our walk this morning I was already at over 9,900 steps. I love this little tool. As of right now (12:59pm) I'm at 11, 299 steps. (yes, I'm wearing it at work - yes, I know that's dorky).
Go get one. They are cheap under $20 and a good way to help keep you motivated.

2 comments:

Winnie said...

Oh! I did that for a work-sponsored program once. It lasted for about 2 days . . . after I realized I was walking only about 3,000 steps per day.

-- quitter

MissJordyPants said...

That's awesome! And what a great motivating tool. Perhaps I shall purchase one!